A Hennepin County prosecutor filed criminal charges against a federal immigration agent for shooting through a home’s front door during a January operation, sparking a fierce battle between state and federal authorities over law enforcement accountability and jurisdiction.
State Brings Assault Charges Against Federal Agent
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty announced charges Monday against ICE agent Christian Castro stemming from a January 14 incident in north Minneapolis. Castro faces four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime. Prosecutors allege Castro fired his weapon through the front door of a duplex while standing alone in the yard, facing no physical threat. The bullet struck Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis in the leg before lodging in a child’s bedroom wall.
Moriarty rejected claims that federal badges provide immunity from state prosecution. She stated Castro shot through the door while people, including children, sheltered inside the home. The county attorney’s office said fortunately the bullet missed several other occupants. Attorney General Keith Ellison backed the prosecution, declaring that no one stands above the law in Minnesota.
Federal Officials Call Charges Political Stunt
ICE officials defended their agent and labeled the state prosecution unlawful political theater by sanctuary politicians. A spokesperson told The Center Square the agency maintains the conduct of federal agents during Operation Metro Surge was proper. Federal authorities now claim the U.S. Attorney’s Office is investigating statements made under oath connected to the case, warning that lying under oath carries serious federal penalties including potential termination and criminal prosecution.
The federal response highlighted a sharp divide over competing narratives. Hennepin County prosecutors disputed the Department of Homeland Security’s initial public account, which claimed officers faced assault with a broom handle and snow shovel. The county said those claims were false, noting the federal press release containing dozens of false statements remains on the DHS website.
What This Means
Operation Metro Surge brought thousands of federal agents to Minneapolis earlier this year, resulting in more than 4,000 apprehensions according to White House border officials. The operation sparked sustained protests, particularly after the January shootings. Minneapolis released security camera footage captured from a distance last month showing the incident. Moriarty launched more than a dozen additional investigations into federal law enforcement actions, saying Minnesota faces circumstances without modern precedent. The case sets up a constitutional clash between state criminal prosecution powers and federal law enforcement authority that could have lasting implications for immigration enforcement nationwide.
